[Amps] ELECTRICAL INSPECTIONS

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] ELECTRICAL INSPECTIONS
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 07:15:23 EST
The fact is REGARDLESS of who does the electrical work in a home the building
inspector "most likely" will NEVER actually try to follow the wiring to see
if one has overload a circuit with too many outlets.  Of course  an overload is
determined by what is plugged in at any given time, but there are codes on
how many devices can be on a circuit.  Its nearly impossible for the inspector
to pick up "wiring errors" of code.  He will however pick you up if you are
missing an outlet somewhere where code says there should be one, and other
similar oversights.  The code is a very funny thing and many times does NOT
make any
sense to a person who understands electricity (like most hams).  For example:
 Its OK to run a 20A branch circuit and install up to 10 (ten) 15 amp rated
outlets (the normal outlet we all have).  But if you run a 20A circuit
dedicated for a washing machine or something and its the ONLY outlet on the
circuit,
then that outlet MUST be a 20A rated outlet.  SO go figure.  The code is loaded
with such things that really dont make sense, but these are the things you
have to know.  In MOST cases building inspectors are not electricians and most
inspectors have a routine on things they check.  You can get the low down on
any local building inspector and his "pet peeves" at the local watering hole or
coffee shop at about 4:30PM.....If you ever want to tangled up in a web, try
wiring up a swimming pool.  Inspectors are all over the Universe with the code
on grounding of pools.  I guess the bottom line to all this is ...whoever
pulls the permit for the job and signs it, is responsible for the quality of
the
job done and has to answer to any problems in the future. If anyone is
interested, I can tell a story of one such case..........73 Louie