[Amps] re Opinions please

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] re Opinions please
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:30:12 +0000
I don't own any of these amps. I'd eliminate the 1200 right away because I would prefer the 3cx1500 over the 1200.
the choice between the 1500 and 82 is more difficult. It depends on the operating you do and whether or not you want gg cathode driven with instant on, maybe cleaner output and less grid protection worries and cheaper tubes, or more output power headroom, and 1.5 kw at low drive.
I am a ragchewer--the 82 would probably be okay for me--I'd run it around 1 to 1.2 kw. If I needed to transmit for a long time at high power or did a lot of contesting I would probably lean more toward the AL-1500.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ