Re: [Amps] Re: Amps Digest, Vol 12, Issue 41

To: <K3vw@aol.com>, " AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re: Amps Digest, Vol 12, Issue 41
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:26:51 -0800

>I do not agree that the 1200 is better than the 1500 and here is why. The
>1500 has only 50 watts of filament wattage verses the 1200 at 150 watts.
>The 1500 does not need a neutralizing capacitor at the tube, the 1200 does
and will
>oscilate if that little neutralizing circuit changes for some reason.

**  The "neutralizing" circuit in later production Al-1200s reportedly
makes the tube more prone to oscillate at the AL-1200's VHF anode
resonance than  earlier models which do not have "neutralization".  A
possible reason for this is that a neutralization circuit can not
simultaneously neutralize at both VHF and HF, plus -  perfect
out-of-phase cancellation at 14MHz becomes positive feedback at 100MHz.
,  Heath and Gonset found this out the hard way in the Warrior and the
GSB-201.  {the well-intended but not well thought-out  "neutralization"
circuit originally appeared in the RCA tube manual}

>The 1200  wants more than 100 watts drive for full output, the 1500 needs 65
watts for
>1500 watts output. They cost about the same, depending on where you buy
>them. I have been using 8877's for over 30 years now without one failure!!
Some guy's
>cry about the 25 watt grid, what about the 4 watt grid in the 3CX800A7??? I
>have worked on several 1200's because they blew the tubes!!  Nuff said?

**  Did they grid-filament short?