Re: [Amps] Dentron Clipperton L on 17 meters

To: monty taylor <montytaylor@texoma.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dentron Clipperton L on 17 meters
From: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 08:31:57 -0800
monty taylor wrote:
Has anyone used a Dentron Clipperton L on 17 meters successfully?  I
have two of the later amps Dentron manufactured, they have the tuned
input on the same pc board that the tube sockets are located and
soldered, and they have a much larger plate choke than the older
Clipperton L's without the tuned input.

I have no specific experience with this amplifier, but I suggest that you temporarily short the plate choke and check with a grid-dip meter for resonances in the area of 18 MHz. You may need to remove a few turns from the choke if you find one within about 1 MHz of the band. My experience with amps designed before the WARC bands existed has been that the plate and tuned input circuits will probably work reasonably well in the 21 MHz position. Once you make sure you won't destroy the plate choke you can try it and see.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco