Re: [Amps] 3.5 kV 2A REGULATED Power Supply: Schematic ?

To: Amplificadores Lineales <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3.5 kV 2A REGULATED Power Supply: Schematic ?
From: GGLL <nagato@arnet.com.ar>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:25:40 +0000
I've been following this nice discussion, and want to ask something about Ian's post, ¿what's bad with running exciter at a lower level and to have the amplifier "seriously under-driven"? (it seems to be not only a lower power output matter).
My modest guess is something related with operating points due to distortion considerations, is it?.

Many thanks and have all a prosperous 2004
Guillermo - LU8EYW.

Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

R. Measures wrote:

** The grid does not and can not draw current when a competent operator sets the grid potential just above the level where it can draw grid-current with the max PEP drive that's available.

That is only true if the grid input circuit is guaranteed to be able to soak up all possible levels of drive without allowing grid current... but that also has disadvantages: either the exciter runs flat-out and generates unnecessary IMD of its own, or else the exciter runs at a lower level and the amplifier is seriously under-driven.

I truly cannot see why anyone should design (or defend) a high-impedance bias supply whose voltage regulation will collapse at the first trace of either normal or negative grid current. What's the point, when a better-regulated supply is just as easy?