[Amps] Re: How IMDs are created

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Re: How IMDs are created
From: rfdude@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 00:37:50 +0000
Bill,
I am not sure a single taylor series expansion can apply for your mixing case.
Ideal mixing is based on multiplication, but let's skip this case because it
seldom applies, other than in a Gilbert Cell (very poor dynamic range).

Switching is the next ideal form of mixing, and that cannot be described by a
single continous function; it has to be broken up.

In a non-ideal switch such as a Schottky diode, the local oscillator (LO)
swings the mixer diode from reverse bias to forward bias. The currents are
discountious at V=0, since the reverse current is dominated by drift current,
and the forward current is based on themoionic emission (just like a field
emitter in vacuum device). It would be diffusion current in a pn diode, but pn
diodes are seldom used for mixers, since they are too slow.

The same case would apply for the strong LO biasing in a vacuum tube grid, and
on the regimes defining the plate current from the grid voltage. The whole LO
cycle must be taken into account.

The taylor series expansion would be broken up in the non linear discountinous
regions. However I am not sure what implication this may have without redoing
the math.
I'll let you predict the outcome from the workout.
chris
> At 02:12 AM 1/2/2004 +0000, rfdude@COMCAST.NET wrote:
>
> >Just to set the record straight: IMD products ARE the mixing terms of the
> >the "harmonics" with the "fundamental(s) (correct for the lowest order
IMDs)".