Re: [Amps] 3.5 kV 2A REGULATED Power Supply: Schematic ?

To: "R. Measures" <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3.5 kV 2A REGULATED Power Supply: Schematic ?
From: peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 13:53:15 +0000
Rich said:

>Stabilizing the screen supply with a series pass regulator is not
>good engineering practice unless a screen supply bleeder is used to
>protect against reverse screen current.

I didn't make it clear that the  'low impedance' screen supply means low
impedance both for source and sink - i.e good regulation for both source
and sink..  For 6146B's, I use zeners - not ideal, but the screen current
doesn't go very negative - rarely more than 1 or 2mA.

>Stabilizing the grid supply in AB1 is of little value since there is
>neither forward or reverse grid current.

Stabilising has a lot of value if the screen supply is stabilised.
Regulation is the parameter that has little value. Stabilising both is best
to get around mains variations.

Definitions:
'Regulation' is a measure of the variation of output voltage with load.
'Stabilisation' is a measure of the variation of output voltage with input
(mains) variation.

73

Peter G3RZP

                      "R. Measures"

                      <r@somis.org>            To:       "Peter C,"
<peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com>, "Ian White, G3SEK"
                                                <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>

                      05-Jan-2004 01:31        cc:       " AMPS"
<amps@contesting.com>, <amps-bounces@contesting.com>
                                               Subject:  Re: [Amps] 3.5 kV 2A
REGULATED Power Supply: Schematic ?

**  Stabilizing the screen supply with a series pass regulator is not
good engineering practice unless a screen supply bleeder is used to
protect against reverse screen current.   Stabilizing the grid supply in