Re: [Amps] soft start circuits

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] soft start circuits
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 23:57:19 +0000
PAUL HEWITT wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: amps-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:amps-bounces@contesting.com]On
Behalf Of David Lisney
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 9:05 AM

one minor bug is that the lightly loaded solid
state relay has once operated by itself, probably due to a mains
transient, and the power supply has powered up by itself, hardly
a major concern in a fully enclosed low voltage power supply but
not something you'd want to trust entirely. This glitch has only
occurred twice in maybe 10 years but still not acceptable for a
high voltage supply.

The SSR manufacturers recommend MOV's at the line side terminal to avoid
DV/DT turn-on.

Even better would be a mains filter, then the master mains switch, and then the MOVs on the SSR.

The filter protects the whole amp, including the transformer and rectifiers, from incoming mains spikes. The spikes are attenuated and stretched enough that they may not affect the SSRs anyway, and the MOVs are a good backup. Since MOVs can be 'worn out' by having to handle too many transients, it's best to connect them downstream of the master mains switch, so they only see mains voltage when the amp is actually switched on.

Although Paul wrote earlier that he'd never had an SSR "weld shut", I still feel uneasy about that, because semiconductor devices do tend to fail short rather than open. I haven't tried SSRs yet, but I just wonder about the minimum guaranteed current breaking capacity for any load, any phase angle?

OK, failing short-circuit is not likely to happen in a soft-start circuit, and wouldn't be a big problem if it did... but the mains relay that feeds the HV transformer is another story. That relay *must* open reliably for safety reasons. The bigger the current surge, the more important it is that the relay can stop it.

Maybe I'm being old-fashioned, but where safety shutdown is involved, I somehow feel more confident in a device whose contacts physically move apart.

(BTW, my standard shutdown test is to drop a piece of copper pipe into the anode compartment so it crowbars the HV. The protection circuit has to shut down the HV quietly, with no big bangs and without even blowing the mains fuse... and then do it again and again, to cover all phase angles of the mains cycle.)

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
                           Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'