[Amps] Power-off tube cooling

To: Undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Amps] Power-off tube cooling
From: ka1xo@juno.com
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:36:11 GMT
Is not the junction where the metal pins travel through the ceramic
base and/or glass of a power tube subject to a more rapid mean time between
failure rate because of thermal stress?

Would not a power tube's internal metal elements use the pins as a heat sink,
whereby the ceramic  in the sealant area will see a concentration
of heat from inside the tube be conducted down to a larger metal heat sink,
namely the tube socket and componentry?

I know in semi-professional cinema projection the equipment requires the
lighting device forced air to remain on after the device is extinguished, and
this practice started with open-air carbon arc and made its way through the
10KW tungsten multi-filament days into the xenon-arc systems I see now.

It would seem reasonable that the example tube of the former posting to the
reflector that consumed over one hundred amps to the heater would be a mighty
heat sink and the cooling of the pins might be just the ticket to avoiding
premature vacuum leaks around the pins.

HBM