Re: [Amps] info on al-1200 amp

To: ken cubilo <kce@chartermi.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] info on al-1200 amp
From: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 08:32:21 -0800
ken cubilo wrote:

I just put a ameritron al-1200 on line a couple of days ago. I am
noticing that the suggested load capacitor settings are all much
lower than the manual suggested settings, for max power output. I am
driving the amp with about 80 watts max so I suspect this has
something to do with it. anybody else using one of these amps notice
the same thing?

I presume that you are testing into a 50-ohm load, right? Notice also that you should always adjust the load control for a slightly heavier load (less capacitance) than that which produces maximum output, for best linearity.

If you are running the amp at less than rated input, then the impedance presented by the tubes will be higher (same Ep, less Ip), and you would expect proper matching to occur with less plate-C. Maintaining overall resonance (since the plate L is fixed) would require slightly more load-C (this statement is going to provoke an argument, but I stand by it).

Of course, you said 'a lot lower', so knowing Ameritron/MFJ I would check the positioning of the knob on the capacitor shaft just to be sure.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco