RE: [Amps] shipping amps

To: "'kce'" <kce@chartermi.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] shipping amps
From: "monty taylor" <montytaylor@texoma.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:42:45 -0600
I have been reading this thread and thought I would throw my recent
experience in also.  I also purchased a CLIPPERTON L off eBay from
another Amateur Radio Operator.  I called him and discussed methods of
packing.  We settled on packing that most computer manufacturers use.
He had an old computer shipping box with the preformed Styrofoam
packing.  He just cut the Styrofoam to accept the Clipperton Amplifier,
weighed 55 pounds, slipped a piece of plastic around the amplifier, put
it in the Styrofoam and put it back in the box and sealed.  I suggested
he print in large red letters "HEAVY -  55LBS" on the top and all sides.
Guess what; when the UPS guy drove up, I went out to meet him and
retrieve the box.  He said "are you sure you want to carry it, it's
heavy and weighs 55lbs".  I guess all I am saying is that the UPS guys
appreciate a heads up before they pick it up.  By the way, the cardboard
box did not have a crushed corner on it!

Regards,
Monty/WB5GLB since 1969