Re: [Amps] A CALL TO ARMS !

To: "Jim Miller" <JimMiller@STL-Online.Net>,"ROBERT MARSTON" <rmarston@sbcglobal.net>," AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>, "Bill Fuqua" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Subject: Re: [Amps] A CALL TO ARMS !
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:20:09 -0800
> The commissioners are scrambling to put this into effect before the next
> election to assure their future employment by the Utility companies. BPL
> will allow the power company to get into the telephone and pay-per-view
> movie business besides the Internet. And they are not thinking of rural
> customers ,but want to dominate as much of the market as possible. It is
> impossible to figure how much the power companies profits will increase
> from implementing BPL but it should  be many times what they are getting
> now. It is likely to be the largest increase of profits of any  public
> utility or service ever including the phone and cable companies.
>
> 73
> Bill wa4lav

Very doubtful, Bill. It's already failed in many places
in Europe. The bandwidth it can provide is very limited,
especially as the subscriber density gets high
(they only have about 27 MHz of bandwidth at a
very low SNR which has to aggregate across a
whole bunch of customers). My guess is that under
loaded conditions it will probably be no better than
2x to 3x better than dial-up. In markets already served
by DSL and cable, I don't think it will compete well.
In rural areas, the subscriber density will be too low to
offset the installation costs of all the line bridges and
repeaters that are required to make it work.

It is also very very susceptible to overload by nearby HF
transmitters. There are numerous examples of systems
that have been brought down by a few tens of watts from
an HF mobile.

Just hope it doesn't come to your neighborhood. It will
make HF fairly useless during the time between when
the power companies deploy it and the time when they
figure out it is a losing proposition.

73 de Mike, W4EF.................