Re: [Amps] Grounded B+ amplifier

To: wrt@dslextreme.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Grounded B+ amplifier
From: DF3KV@aol.com
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:20:45 -0500
Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com> wrote:

>Years ago I recall reading about an amplifier where the B+ supply was
>grounded and the cathode was "hot" with the B- supply.  I'm wondering if
>that might have some advantages for high power amplifiers.
>
>Specifically, the pi-network output could be simplified by eliminating
>the plate choke.

I do not think that is a good idea, you are just shifting the
problems and have to reevent the weel, where for conventional
layouts everything is known and optimized already.
If you have problems winding the anode choke, just transfer
it to the low impedance part of the pi-network, at the side of the L to the 50
ohms end.
Only the plate components have to be for higher voltage and
you need a high voltage variable at the output.
The coupling cap which moves between antenna and the output needs higher
capacity of course

73
Peter