Re: [Amps] Choosing a first amp

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Choosing a first amp
From: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:48:43 -0800 (PST)
Hi Brad,
Since no one else has replied as of yet, I thought I'd drop my $.02...

There are deals to be had on SB-220s or Kenwood TL-992s.  Just be careful and
know what you're
getting.  It's easy to get a really "good" deal only to find that you need to
replace a bandswitch
and/or tubes.  There are also really good deals on Henry amps -- I wish I would
have held out and
waited for a deal on a Henry.  For what I have in my TL-922, I could have
gotten a much higher
power Henry.  Keep and eye out -- you might find a good deal.  I get about
1200-1400W out of my
amp (which really is plenty), but just to know that I could have had much more
headroom for the
same $$$ gets to me a bit.  Also, consider the AL-572B amp -- it's another
similarly powered amp
that can be found for decent money, but I'm kind of partial to grounded grid
3-500ZGs.  They're
actually cheaper that a matched quad of 572s and will put out much more power,
if the supply is
robust enough.  They're also extremely tough tubes...

I nearly swept the ARRL Sweepstakes using the TL-922 into a lowband dipole on
all bands without a
tuner.  I only missed Quebec!!!

Good Luck & 73!!
Joe,