RE: [Amps] 2 x 8877

To: "Mike McCarthy, W1NR" <w1nr@eecorp.com>,"P. Coppin" <copa054@cira.it>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] 2 x 8877
From: "PAUL HEWITT" <wd7s@att.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 02:26:04 -0800
Hi Mike
The dual 8877 arrangement should cost more as it allows more dissipation.
Watt for watt the 800's will cost more, more sockets more room.  The lower
plate voltage means lower RL which means MORE required tune capacitance and
lower tank inductance,(smaller).  You can maintain a lower loaded Q with the
same Cout+Cstray using the lower plate voltage.  By the time you match the
dissipation of the dual 8877's with the 800's (four tubes) you have about
the same total Cout+Cstray, still not much benefit for 28mhz.  I would think
the reason one doesn't see many of these large amps is that they can't be
type accepted for amateur radio in the US, although the "export only" amps
are freely sold here. Without the commercial market for these big non type
accepted amps (as Henry has) it might be hard make them profitable legally.
Paul

PAUL HEWITT
WD7S PRODUCTIONS
QRO HOMEBREW COMPONENTS