Re: [Amps] 3-500Z Tubes

To: "Bee Walton" <k4jld@juno.com>, " AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>,<have@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500Z Tubes
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 00:51:08 -0800

>The 3-500Z tubes in my AMP INT 3-500ZC amplifier are shorted between
>filament and grid.  There may be more wrong but this is a start.
>
>Question.  What is my best source for obtaining the 3-500Z tubes?

?  Bee - - RF Parts is OK.

>Are  Eimac tubes still available?

?  No. Triton bought out Eimac's glass tube division.

>Do I want the ZG with the graphite anode?

?  Graphite anodes do not have the weak spotweld problem that late
production Eimac and early production Triton tubes with metal
anode-radiators have been plagued with.  Maybe Triton solved the problem
by increasing spotweld-I?

>Will the G require any changes in the amp?

?  No but the ZSAC should be adjusted to 75 to 85 mA per tube fot SSB.

> Do I need a matched pair?

?  Probably not.

>What about non-USA made tubes?

?  Are graphite-anode 3-500Zs manufactured in the U.S.?