Re: [Amps] dentron tuned input

To: ne2i@optonline.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] dentron tuned input
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 07:16:07 EST
In a message dated 3/11/04 01:53:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ne2i@optonline.net writes:

> any one have any ideas on how to add a tuned input to a dentron clipperton L
> I know about the cm2 but they are exceedingly rare...
> supposedly the 4 572b's have a combined input impedance of 75ohms but
> the mkV dont like it even with the tuner on...
>
> Thanks
> George NE2I

Hi George, It always amazed me how the CM-2 input matching "black box" was
sold to match the input of all the Dentron amps that did not have a tuned input
circuit.  I do not know anything about it, but perhaps you need to make
adjustments on the CM-2  to match the individual amps to a rig.  I do not think
so
though, anybody know?  Anyhow, I like to always look for the "easy way out" of
problems, so once when I had to use my Swan Mark I amp with a solid state
radio, I could only muster about 600 watts out form the amp that should do a KW
output.  I know that the solid state radio was folding back due to the high
input SWR.  I know an input circuit of sorts was needed.  Being lazy, I grabbed
hold of my little MFJ 16010 antenna tuner and inserted it in between the rig
and
the amp, after finding the right "tap" on the inductor and tweaking the
little air variable cap a bit, there was my KW on all bands from the solid
state
radio to the Swan amp.  I noticed that on almost every band the tap was the
same, and only required a tweak on the air cap to get a perfect match every
time
and full power out from the amp.  I simpley tuned for max smoke on the output
meter and the exciter was happy as a Lark!  BTW  I paid $8.00 for the 16010 at
a Flea Market.  The tuner in the radio should provide the same matching, but
the way the input impedance varies on a "tube" as an input causes the antenna
tuner to endlessly "seek", it finally stops, but the match is still not right.
On the 16010 manual tuned, you will easily see a match using MAX smoke as an
indicator.
Good Luck 73 Louie