Re: [Amps] Switch-mode HV power supply

To: g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk ("Ian White, G3SEK"), amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Switch-mode HV power supply
From: DF3KV@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:40:46 -0500
"Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>wrote :

>When I started this discussion, I should have said that one of my
>criteria for choosing a PA is that it should give a significant increase
>above 100W. It really doesn't seem worth the trouble of adding a PA to
>your 100W transceiver - and it *certainly* isn't worth the trouble of
>taking a PA on a DXpedition - unless it is capable of at least say 400W
>output, and preferably much more.
>
>By rectifying and multiplying 230/240V, it is quite difficult to develop
>much more than 1kV, and that is only enough for an amplifier in the
>100-200W class.

4 PL/EL509/519 or 6KG6 with 900V on the plates do 1KW with ease.
I used 6 PL519 in high-µ GG for a long time before we got the
rule change in Germany away from dissipation limitation.
That amp did 2KW on all bands except 10m with 200W of drive.
4x EL519 or 6KD6 was the standard mobil amp on 80m /m with a KW.

There is also now a mosfet amp with simple switchemode P/S
developed vy DL9AH which does above 1KW and is not heavy at all,
he is using extremely cheap transistors

73
Peter