Re: [Amps] 3CX1500D7 VS 3CX1500A7

To: <dajs@accnorwalk.com>, " AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX1500D7 VS 3CX1500A7
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:22:10 -0800

>Compare the specs for the new 3CX1500D7 vs the 3CX1200Z. It appears that
>it is
>a very similar tube with bigger cooler and
>filament designed to replace 3-500Z's. Downside is lower max frequency and
>greater
>drive requirements. It may suffer ffrom lower output at 30 MHZ like the
>3CX1200A7.

?    Lower output at 28 - 30 MHz is not the fault of the 3cx1200A7.  The
problem is typically caused by using too little surface area for the tank
L to compensate for skin-effect on the higher bands.    A good example of
an amplifier with adequate skin-effect compensation is the TL-922.   Good
examples of amplifiers without such are various Dentron amplifiers plus
the AL-1200, and AL-1500.

>In my opinion, the 3CX1500A7/8877 is a better tube for homebrew and new
>applications.
>Lower drive requirements from the exciter mean lower IMD, potential greater
>efficiency at 30 MHZ, and much lower filament power requirements.

?  180-plus seconds warmup and a delicate grid are hardly pluses.
However, for VHF, the 8877 is a better choice.