Re: [Amps] Re: Drake L7 newbie

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re: Drake L7 newbie
From: "R_Davis" <WD8JJA@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 08:02:25 -0500
Good question!! I hope the answer appears on this reflector so all may see.

I never got around to getting an amp until after the new power limit was
effective, and then only got a 2x 572B amp.  Looking "down the road", when I
might upgrade to a higher power amp, I will probably go for an older, 2KW
model, such as the L-7B or TL-922, for an increase of about 3 dB and add 160
meter capability.   (Seems like the best dB/$ in lieu of the price of a
brand new amp. )

I know that the older amplifiers were marketed when the power limit in the
USA, for amateur use, was 1000 watts DC input, instead of 1500 watts PEP
output.  And back then, one tuned the amplifier in reduced voltage mde (CW,
TUNE, however it is marked) for 1000 watts input (plate V x plate I). Then
switched to high voltage for SSB.  This was supposed to result in still
having 1000 watts average, or DC, on SSB, but with much greater PEP.  Hence,
2000W PEP input.

Given todays higher output power limits, can these pre - 1500W limit
amplifiers be tuned up in high voltage or SSB mode for c. 1300-1400 watts
out (whatever they will do, up to 1500 watts)?

Rick, WD8JJA