Re: [Amps] SB-221 Why is the the variable load capacitor onlycrimpedto t

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-221 Why is the the variable load capacitor onlycrimpedto the ...
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:51:59 +0100
Steve Thompson wrote:
Possibly because regular soldering can melt under the heat of the
circulating tank circuit current.  A mechanical connection is better
for this area, there
is nothing that can melt.  I HAVE SEEN IT HAPPEN MORE THAN ONCE!

In all the high reliability areas I've worked connectors are always crimped, not soldered - maybe for different reasons from the Heath amp, but I think many people are not aware of how good a properly made crimp connection is.

The UK mains wiring regulations are very strict about the quality of connections in locations where routine inspection will never be possible after installation (eg buried in walls). Properly made crimp connections are one of the few categories that they will accept. They will not accept connections that rely only or mainly on solder, not anywhere in the system.

A big proviso - the wire and crimp tool have to be the right ones for the connector.

The simple pliers-type crimp tools obviously don't qualify - and neither do regular pliers, of course - but real ratchet crimp tools have recently become much cheaper. Prices in the UK have come down to the equivalent of about $20-25 (www.cpc.co.uk) and presumably the same far eastern imports could be available in the USA.

That's real progress - so now I won't need to borrow Steve's any more :-)