[Amps] Question about an old home-brew amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Question about an old home-brew amp
From: Chris Howard <chris@yipyap.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 18:35:55 -0600
Hello Amp gurus,

I picked up an amp at a hamfest last weekend.  It appears to be
a homebrew job and I am wondering if you all might recognize the
configuration and can point me to a magazine article or
other info.

I think I just have the RF deck.  The circuit employs a 4cx250B
which appears to be driving a 3cx1000A7.  The filament supply and
B+ to the driver are in this deck but the main HV is not here.
My GDO says that the output circuit is resonant between 10
and 20 Mhz.  (There was also a minor resonance around 80 Mhz.)
I would guess that capacitors and other parts are from the 1960's.
The front controls consist of a switch for filament and a switch
for B+.  There are four fuses and four corresponding lights
on the front panel.  They are labeled filaments, bias, B+ and
fan.  Two large vacuum variable capacitors are in the output
network, and their controls come to the front panel also.
There aren't any meters on it.  Dymo tape on the front
says:

RF AMP
SK-MP2-217 & SK-MP2-202

And some old masking tape has the remains of a name, maybe
Freyman?  and a note that says "max output 2.6 MW  kml 3-26-6.."

If I can't get some better info on this thing I will probably
part it out.

thanks for any clues you might provide

Chris
kc0atc

--
Chris Howard                                     YipYap.Com
chris@yipyap.com                                 Estes Park, Colorado  USA