Re: [Amps] filament supply options

To: Steve Jackson <kz1x@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] filament supply options
From: jeff millar <wa1hco@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:51:21 -0400
Things to think about
- Cold resistance much lower than hot, PS may fold back on overcurrent and never light up the tube
- Add some series resistance to limit surge current when cold...For example, a 6V supply with 1V of drop across the RF choke
- Alternatively could arrange a soft start circuit to ramp the voltage and minimize cold current.
- With DC on the filament, the Grid to cathode bias varies along the filament the same way, which causes more emission from one end of the cathode than the other. Some people talk about reversing the filament connections periodically to even out the wear.
- Very easy to adjust filament voltage lower for better life at your emission needs.

jeff, wa1hco

Steve Jackson wrote:

Let's say I have a 3-500z which wants 5 volts at 15
amps for the heater.

The spec doesn't say AC or DC -- and according to Ohm,
(given that one is 60 Hz and the other is zero Hz into
what is essentially a resistive load on the other side
of a BIG choke) it doesn't matter.

Watts is Watts.

I have a 5 volt, DC, 20 amp, industrial-grade
switching supply. It cost $2 and weighs about 3 lbs. Power-factor-corrected, auto-ranging 90-255VAC input.

What do you say I use the switcher, instead of the
$58, 22 lb. transformer that would provide the same V
and I ... with poorer regulation, etc. ?

Before someone says something about switchers and RF
noise, etc., I checked this one under load and it
doesn't put out anything I could hear.  It also
provides about 4500v isolation to the AC input, and it
didn't flinch when I subjected it to a strong RF field
at 14 and 28 MHz.

What's wrong with this picture?  Why aren't more
people going this route when building?

Steve KZ1X/4 ...

... who is also looking pretty seriously at that HV
switcher from Watts Unlimited