[Amps] switchmode filament PS

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] switchmode filament PS
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 23:03:00 -0600
The TH781 tetrode PA that I am testing has one side of the filament grounded, to one of the transmission lines in the input resonator. Because of this, while I use 60 Hz transformer I get ripple on the output, not a lot, but enough to be noticable and unacceptable. One solution is to bring the control grid bias PS back to a CT of the tranny, or to the center wiper of a low value resistor to fake CT, causing the bias PS to have to float at 1/2 filament potential above ground. Tube manufacturer Thales has suggested going to DC for the filament, with a 12 pulse 3 phase supply without filters. Another choice is to get a switcher, 10 VAC at 320 Amperes. That isn't a tall order these days, but getting it reliable, ramping up voltage, etc are the hurdles. I may consider it, however.

John
K5PRO