[Amps] ENI Plasma RF Amplifier

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] ENI Plasma RF Amplifier
From: "Gene Bigham" <jbigham2@kc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 16:49:57 -0500
As mentioned before I have a 4 board ENI RF amplifier for plasma generator.  So
far I have taken one board out and drawn a schematic.  It is a very simple
class C amplifier with feedback from collector to base for some stability.  I
have inquired with a company selling these used/refurbished but gotten very
little information that is helpful.  I still do not know what the main solid
state components are FET or transistor.  All have a stamped logo ST on them
then the number 681033 below that, under this number appears either C795V or
C589C on all these devices.   These are probably manufacturer numbers and not
discrete component numbers.  I have been told and had confirmed I need about 48
volts DC to run the amps.  Given there are 4 amp boards with a combiner and the
output is supposed to be around 600 watts and it is class C so maybe 70 to 80
percent efficiency, I am thinking I am needing a 20 to 25 amp supply at 45 to
55 volts.  It was recommended I look into a switching power supply.  I have no
experience with power supplies in this voltage range that are new or surplus
and not sure where to start looking at this point.
My plan is to build bias supply for the amp boards and make them linear with
regulated bias.  I will build the bias off the Vcc supply.
So does anyone have any familiarity with these devices as numbered above?  And
what is a good place to start for a power supply to power this project up?  50
VDC around 25 amps?
I am told the amp will work from 1 to 40 MHz no problem.  Of course it will
need band pass filters, bias supply, Vcc supply, switching for transmit and
receive, etc. etc. etc.  It is a fun project though.
Any assistance appreciated.
Gene Bigham KB0GU