Re: [Amps] Source for economical HV diodes?

To: Dave Haupt <emailw8nf@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Source for economical HV diodes?
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 03:59:57 -0700

On May 9, 2004, at 7:23 PM, Dave Haupt wrote:

I'm in the final stages of building a small hipot
tester.  The last item I need is high voltage
rectifier diodes.  My diode stacks need to withstand
20kV.  I know I can series lots of diodes, but this
becomes a LOT of diodes if I start with 1kV diodes!

Hello, Dave -- I've used focus rectifiers for such. They were rated for 7kv,100mA.

I've found a few sources for microwave oven diodes, but I'd still need to series several not-very-inexpensive diodes.

I used long strips of perfboard for my 30kv high-pot tester. With 3-diodes per row, it only takes a dozen rows of diodes per strip, which is not all that big.

Ultimately I need four such stacks of HV diodes.

For a quadrupler?

Dave W8NF

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org