RE: [Amps] 8877 Question

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] 8877 Question
From: "G0RUZ Conrad" <conrad@g0ruz.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 06:28:58 +0100
Hi Gary

I have made quite a number of 6m amplifiers in the class (GU74s, GS35B,
GS31B, 4CXxxxxx etc) that you described and 2 with 8877's.

The socket will be fine, provided that it has a good fingerstock contact
around the majority of the grid there should be no issues at all. In fact
your socket looks rather better than mine in this respect. All you need is a
good low impedance connection from the grid to the chassis.

The chimney should also be ok but I personally would not use those HT
connections, remove them and put a strap around the whole anode. On 6m this
is arguably unnecessary but it is good VHF practice to do so.

You may like to look at link:

http://wd7s.home.att.net/gallery-2.htm

This amp is exemplary in it's construction and performance and can be copied
religiously without fear of failure!

Look at this link:

http://wd7s.home.att.net/gallery-1.htm

Interestingly this amp has a single connection on to the top of the anode,
so perhaps I am being cautious for no good reason. The main thing on 6m is
to keep the value of tune C as low as possible and the value of L1 and
resonance as high as possible. You are aiming to get an acceptably low
loaded Q on the tank circuit in order to minimise I^2R losses. Try to use
good quality blocking caps because the circulating currents will be higher
than in a typical HF amplifier.

The coil sizes used in the WD7S amplifier work perfectly with this class of
tube and I have used these coil dimensions with a number of tubes in this
output class, they all have similar output C and operating parameters.

The 8877 is a class act on 6m as my 181 DXCC's show, I am sure that you
heard me in the pileups:-)

Regards

Conrad G0RUZ