[Amps] Re: 4-400 Question - It's Grounded Grid!

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: 4-400 Question - It's Grounded Grid!
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 12:34:37 -0400
Bear,

Sorry, I didn't know which amp was using this so I assumed it having screen voltage by it being a tetrode. Actually those resistors act as fuses which should open up in case or an arc or short (whenever a large amount of grid current occurs). The capacitors are bypass caps to kill off any stray rf floating around. If both grids are connected to ground then, and are running as grounded grid, about the only thing that could damage this would be from oscillation. Parasitic oscillation of the tube running without any signal applied. I'm not sure if that has a neutralization circuit or not without seeing the schematic. I have seen 3-500-Z's melted down because of this. I don't know why they would have used 4-400's in place of 3-500's unless they had some better gain someway? This I wouldn't think as the 400 is a 400 watt tube and the 3-500 a 500 watt tube. You might read up more on parasitic oscillations over on Richard Measures website. He posts on here all the time and has seen this more than me.

Will Matney