[Amps] proposed rule changes about amps

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] proposed rule changes about amps
From: "Thomas Hix" <w4th@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 21:24:44 -0500

What do you think about the FCC proposals which will once again allow the manufacture of amps designed to operate on frequencies above 15 meters.....without modification that is.
I remember in the 70's when this rule was put into effect. It seems the FCC was swamped with so many interference complaints to TV, telephone, stereo, intercom, and anything else that had a coil or a speaker which was susceptible to RF, (A friend had a sewing machine on which she could her her CB neighbor talking) that they (FCC) decided something had to be done.
The FCC had already tried enforcement actions on a few of the more flagrant interference violators, but they had such a small staff the CBer's knew it was a rare thing to actually get caught, so they bought the amps made especially for 11 meters. These amps were for the large part, factory made, albeit some of the factories may have in the basement of the home of the manufacturer.
The quality of the amps varied widely, with some being pretty well made, and others being complete junk.
The FCC decided if they could not stop the CB'ers from using the amps they would make it illegal for them to be sold in the U.S.....so back in the early 70's they changed the rules to those we now have in effect. The rule states in essence it is illegal to sell an rf amplifier that will operate above 15 meters to anyone other than a licensed amateur radio operator..... But as anyone who has checked the internet has seen, this did little to stem the flow of these illegal amps.
Now it seems the FCC is going to basically change the rules back to the way they were before they made it illegal to sell the amps in question.....I wonder if they think their new field enforcement team is better equipped to cope with the situation now than they were in the 1970's?
It has always been a rule violation to use an external rf amplifier on 11 meters, it seems that rule has been pretty ineffective also.
Here are the proposed rule changes that relate to amps.
85. Limitations imposed on manufacturers. Our Rules prohibit commercial manufactures from marketing power amplifiers that are capable of transmitting on the 12 m and 10 m amateur service bands to amateur radio operators. We believe that these rules impose unnecessary restrictions on manufacturers of amateur radio equipment, are inconsistent with the experimental nature of the amateur service, and may result in amateur stations transmitting at higher power levels than necessary. Accordingly, we propose to amend Sections 97.315 and 97.317 of our Rules to clarify and simplify the exceptions in our Rules. Specifically, to eliminate the disparate restrictions imposed on manufacturers as compared to the restrictions imposed on amateur service licensees, to allow manufacturers to market equipment in the United States that they may market overseas, and to eliminate any ambiguity in these rules, we will propose to delete the following requirements: (a) a manufacturer must design an amplifier to use a minimum of 50 watts drive power, and (b) the amplifier must not be capable of operating on any frequency between 24 MHz and 35 MHz. Historically, we note that the Commission promulgated Sections 97.315 and 97.317 of our Rules at a time when the Citizens Band (CB) Radio Service was the primary service that individuals used to satisfy their personal communication needs. The Commission adopted these Rules in 1978 to prevent commercial manufacturers from marketing to CB Radio Service users RF power amplifiers that had been approved for use at amateur stations. We note, however, that Section 95.411 of our Rules already satisfies the policy objectives sought by Sections 97.315 and 97.317. Specifically, Section 95.411 of our Rules prohibits, under any circumstances, an individual from attaching an external RF power amplifier or any device capable of amplifying the signal to a CB transmitter. Thus, an individual who uses an amplifier at a CB Radio Service station would violate a CB Radio Service rule and not an amateur service rule. Therefore, to eliminate redundancy and provide clarity in our rules, we propose to amend Sections 97.315 and 97.317 of our Rules. We request comment on this proposal.
86. We also propose to delete Section 97.3(a)(19) of our Rules. This rule section defines an external RF power amplifier kit as a number of electronic parts which, when assembled, is an external RF power amplifier, even if additional parts are required to complete assembly. Because of the broad scope of this definition, we are concerned that an amateur radio operator would find it difficult to determine if a group of electronic parts he or she purchases or possesses will be defined by the Commission as an external RF power amplifier kit. In this regard, we note that because many electronic parts used in RF power amplifiers are also used in other electronic equipment, any group of electronic parts, particularly if supplemented by additional parts, could be assembled to make a power amplifier or part of a RF power amplifier. Because of the uncertainty created by this rule, we propose to eliminate Section97.3(a)(19) of our Rules. We request comment on this proposal.

Tom's Tubes: Specializing in Amateur Radio Amplifier Tubes/Sockets & G3SEK Tetrode/Triode Boards & Kits http://www.tomstubes.com