Re: [Amps] Tube Burn In Question.

To: ab5mm <ab5mm@9plus.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tube Burn In Question.
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:00:53 -0700

On Jun 18, 2004, at 7:17 PM, ab5mm wrote:

The 20+ year old 3-500Z Eimacs have lost their brilliance.

 See an ophthalmologist ASAP..

I finally broke down and purchased a new pair to go into the Henry 3K-A today at HAM-COMM.
My question is how should I "burn in" the tubes?

 I never have. So far, no problem. The Amperex and the Eimac 3-500Z tech data sheets say nothing about burn-in.
- If you hear any arcing, it's not from inside the vacuum, so don't expect it to get better from self-gettering.

good luck, Steve

How many hours?
Only filament and blower on? (I did the mod to cool the pins)
Filament voltage? (I can vary it)
And finally, is there a general consensus on whether or not some portion of the burn in time should include plate voltage (no drive, just idle current? (I can vary this also)

As always, Thank You for the input.

Steve
AB5MM

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org