[Amps] conditioning 3-500Z

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] conditioning 3-500Z
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:05:45 -0600
I would recommend running them with rated filament voltage first 100 hours, and then backing that off to whatever needed to support your cathode current requirement, plus a little, and leave them there. Thats straight from the manufacturers app notes.

Nothing else. give them 30 minutes first time before hitting HV switch, thats all.

And of course, filament and blower on, I can't imagine one without the other. No need to run HV without drawing current.

john
K5PRO

Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:17:30 -0500 From: ab5mm <ab5mm@9plus.net> Subject: [Amps] Tube Burn In Question.

The 20+ year old 3-500Z Eimacs have lost their brilliance. I finally
broke down and purchased a new pair to go into the Henry 3K-A today at
HAM-COMM.
My question is how should I "burn in" the tubes?
How many hours?
Only filament and blower on? (I did the mod to cool the pins)
Filament voltage? (I can vary it)
And finally, is there a general consensus on whether or not some portion
of the burn in time should include plate voltage (no drive, just idle
current? (I can vary this also)