Re: [Amps] Filament Transformer & Zener Diodes

To: dhallam@rapidsys.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Filament Transformer & Zener Diodes
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:10:19 -0700

On Jun 22, 2004, at 6:06 AM, David C. Hallam wrote:

Thanks to all who replied to my request for help with filament transformers
for my 4CX1500A.

Now I have another question about something that never occurred to me
before. For a zener regulated screen supply, what value of screen current
do you use to calculate the proper value of the series dropping resistor?

 David -- Since typical screen-I for a 4cx1500A is 35mA @ 750 screen-v, c. 40mA should flow through the zener string on standby, A fail-safe source for the 40mA is the anode supply bleeder R. With a 5000V anode supply, R= (5000V - 750V) / 0.04A = 106.5kΩ. For a 750V, 40mA zener string I would use 24, 30V, 5W zeners in series since the 5W-max rating is actually 1.5W-max at typical junction temps. This would require a R dissipation of 0.04A x 4250V = 170W. However, if the HV xfmr uses a FWB and has a CT to provide 2500VDC, 70W of dissipation would result.
-- Editorial comments -- According to Eimac's characteristic curves, with 750 screen volts, the 4cx1500A is capable of producing a peak emission of at least 4a. This translates into c.1.4A of indicated anode-I for SSB or CW operation. - 5W-rated zeners are cooled quite nicely by mounting them on a perfboard in the cooling airstream. The leads should not be cut too short since the leads are an important heat dissipator.

There is the average screen current under load that the screen current meter
reads, and than there is the instantaneous value of screen current that
occurs at the minimum of the plate voltage swing which is much higher.
According to my calculations from the constant current curves for a
4CX1500A, the average screen current will be about 20 mA while the peak
screen current will be about 100 mA.

 Since the peak screen-current is at an RF rate, it is supplied by the screen bypass-C built into the socket.

cheerz

≈