[Amps] Trio TL-922

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Trio TL-922
From: r391 <r391@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:59:12 -0400
Just purchased a "Trio" version of a Kenwood TL-922. Upon getting it connected I found that the plate voltage did not rise to 3kv as the operators manual indicated it should when in SSB mode.... thinking "trouble" I downloaded a copy of the Kenwood service manual.

The service manual like the operators manual, intimated that the plate voltage should rise to 3kv in SSB mode and this feat is supposed to be accomplished by using different hv transformer taps but... unlike the operators manual, the service manual had a very small sentence buried in the how things work section stating that the mode switch accomplished its mode switching by shorting across the zener bias diode when going from cw to ssb with no mention of transformer lead switching and yet... both the service manual schematic and the operators manual schematic are identical to each other and neither one showed said shorting out of the zener diode and instead showed switching of the transformer leads.

Looking deeper on the net I came across a Japanese only website and found the following...

http://youkai.net/tl922/

Wish I could read Japanese... this site would be an interesting read to be sure... anyway, the top schematic actually resembles the wiring in my rig and the bottom schematic resembles the one in the two manuals.

Questions:

Is 3kv ssb operation the norm for the 922 amp or is 2kv? As I have no experience with the 922, my amp may be working as Kenwood intended and I'm concerned about nothing...

If 3kv is the norm, does the above Japanese link show some kind factory mod unique to Japan (like US amps without 10 meters)... perhaps due to some kind of power restriction or was this mod a way for the factory to control the not invented here, parasitic problem?

Do I want to rewire per the operators/service manuals schematics for 3kv operation or is this a bad idea?

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

tnx, Ott
KA3OTT