Re: [Amps] 3-500 tube question

To: N7uvh@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500 tube question
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 01:41:03 -0700

On Jul 3, 2004, at 9:01 AM, N7uvh@aol.com wrote:

Hi guys..great reading.

I have a sb220 with the original tube Eimac 3-500z. I think i have a short
in one tube. Keeps cooking the rf chock on pin 4 of tube to ground. So what
I am wondering if it is ok to buy a 3-500ZG to replace it.

 Yes, Patrick, but the grid to gnd chokes should be replaced with fusable resistors to protect the tubes. Also, the grid bypass C should be increased by c. 1000pF per socket. The suspect tube should not be discarded unless a grid/filament check with a high-potential tester confirms that the breakdown is <5kV. Better parasitic suppressors might help. An article on my Web site describes problems & fixes with the SB-220.

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org