Re: [Amps] AL-1200 Pop

To: "R. Measures" <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-1200 Pop
From: Ed Briggs <edbriggs@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 19:52:47 -0400
Neither did I, which I why I spent a month screwing around with everything
else imaginable. Finally decided to replace the tube, problem went away. Put
the old tube back, problem came back. Incidentally, it took a little time
for this to happen - in other intermittent. But after being able to repro
this several times, back and forth over the course of two months, it's
fixed.

I actually went through all the interior surfaces with high power
magnification looking for charring, insulation breakdown, etc. but the
problem would *never* occur if I had no tube in the socket (just high v
applied with no tube)

I can only speculate about possible reasons for a flash in the rf
compartment a) it wasn't really in the rf compartment but was a reflection
of the arc in the soft start relay. The interior of the AL-1200 is such that
this is at least possible (shiny metal surfaces, cutout leading to the area
of the relay etc.) b) something, somehow permitted the arc to occur on the
outside of the tube (defective ceramic surface?)

I should add that Ameritron was very helpful, but there is a limit to what
you can do over the phone with an intermittent problem.

When I originally posted to this DL about my problems, I received a flurry
of emails from people who had encountered similar problems; some had them
resolved by changing the tube, some by cleaning the RF compartment.

I mention it here because it might help someone who is pulling out hair,
changing meter protection diodes and mains fuses.

Ed