Re: Ref: [Amps] AL-1200 Pop (Will Matney)

To: "Thomas Hix" <w4th@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Ref: [Amps] AL-1200 Pop (Will Matney)
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 01:58:25 -0700

On Jul 8, 2004, at 10:48 AM, Thomas Hix wrote:

I know this may sound stupid, but one time I had an amp that ran a pair of 3-500z tubes. It had been working fine, and suddenly when I was not transmitting, just listening, but had the amp in the operate mode, I also heard a loud POP!.....I tried the amp, and it worked as it always had, but I decided I had better see what had caused the pop.....I took of the top cover on looked down inside the amp, and there to my surprise was a large moth that was blown to smithereens....evidently it had flown inside the amp and made contact with the high voltage, and blew it's self to pieces.....I had all the lights off in the shack at the time, and I guess the glow of the 3-500z tubes was just more than the moth could resist.....The amp never did give me a problem as long as I owned it other than that one large BANG!
Maybe you had something like this to happen to your AL-1200.

 Excellent point, Tom. Good engineering practice is to place screen or perforated sheet metal at the air inlet to keep insects out. For instance, nothing much larger than a fruit fly can get into a SB-220, provided that the perf-metal cabinet is in place.

cheers.

73
Tom.....W4TH

Tom's Tubes: Specializing in Amateur Radio Amplifier Tubes/Sockets & G3SEK Tetrode/Triode Boards & Kits http://www.tomstubes.com