Re: [Amps] Line Isolators for RF feedback

To: peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Line Isolators for RF feedback
From: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:17:02 -0400
Dear Peter,

Some fourteen years ago, Rich Measures wrote an article that appeared in
QST magazine called A BALANCED BALANCED ANTENNA TUNER.

This design firstly moves the balun to the input of the impedance
transformer
network and then incorporates two separate but symmetrical variable
inductors
to operate on both halves of the open-wire feed line arrangement.

In applying Mr. Measures' design to my shack the first problem
encountered
was the QRO-O and the fact that mostly RTTY is favored (with attendant
long-winded periods of transmission).  The balun coil to provide the
balanced 50-ohm feed to the impedance transformer needed to be made of
10AWG silver-teflon, closely wound on a PVC core.

Secondly, the original antenna design was an Off-Center-Feed 188 meter
dipole with the feedpoint at the 62 percent point, which provided 184
feet
and 414 feet (roughly). This arrangement worked, albeit inefficiently,
with
a NYE VIKING MB-V-A that uses a double-core output balun to provide
a semblance of a balanced output, but the power running through it
quickly
saturated the cores, heated things up and made for squirrely tuning,
especially
in the 80-meter RTTY band.

The solution was to re-cut the dipole in order to make both halves
symmetrical
so that the dual-inductor ATU would feed equal currents through the
network.

The 56uH roller inductors with the 1,000pF vacuum variable shunting the
balanced
outputs then provided a sure means to finding the sweet spot for a dipole
presenting
a high impedance to the output of the tuner.

Respectfully,

Hal Mandel
KA1XO