[Amps] Suggestions to quiet a blower

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Suggestions to quiet a blower
From: Ed Briggs <edbriggs@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:46:27 -0400
A perennial question..

I'm considering trying to quite down the blower in my Al-1200.  I am using the
stock  EBM G2S085-AA which is a single inlet centrifugal blower which I run at
top speed since it is only a 31 cfm blower at 0".  From what I've seen, it is
the quietest of it's type,  spec'ed at 37 dBA.

I *think* (and that's why I'm soliciting suggestions) that there are two
primary sources of noise in this installation. One is mechanical vibration,
which I'm thinking of one of several approaches:

a)  Mount a rubber 'mouse pad' between the fan and the chassis, or
b)  drill out the mounting holes in the chassis, and install rubber grommets to
isolate the mounting screws from the chassis, then RTV or silicon caulk round
the perimeter of the blower mounting flange, or
c)  any better suggestion

The second source of noise seems to be a higher pitched noise that I *guess* is
related to the ball bearing and airflow. I imagine that some sort of a baffle
over chassis vents with several inches of clearance would help. I've seen
carboard boxes suggested.

Anyway, if anyone has any good ideas, particuarly regarding the mechanical
isolation of the fan/chassis please let me know

Much obliged for any comments

Ed
N1TS