Re: [Amps] 4-250A and interesting socket information.

To: "R.Measures" <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4-250A and interesting socket information.
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:29:31 -0400
My first experience with real anode glow was when I built my fist amplifiers as a teenage ham.I first acquires a old AM transmitter in Miami, Fl at a store called Ham Shack Electronics ( I think).This was while on vacation and packed it away in the station wagon (had to leave the rack).I first made an amp with a pair of GG 813's which worked rather well. Later I got an HT-4 and disassembled it ( wish I still had it now) and changed the amplifier to a pair of GG 250th's. Had to put about -65 volts on the grid but they glowed nicely when transmitting. How beautiful, the mercury vapor rectifiers pulsating and the floor boards humming ( power transformer sat on floor) and red glow on the plates of the 250th tubes. You could see the shadow of the grid on the plates. By the way,They look like the same plates as used in the 4-250A's.
My parents liked to come into my room just to see the light show sometimes.

I have been thinking of adding some 872's in series just after the power supply filter capacitor just for effects. I think I could tolerate 30 or so volts drop in B+. That way I won't have to use a filter choke. kind of miss the glow. Perhaps could make solid state rectifiers with violet or blue LED's in them that would produce modulated light intensity with current. Now there's a thought.

73
Bill wa4lav