[Amps] Centurion cooling ideas for AM service

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Centurion cooling ideas for AM service
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:37:59 +0000
Thanks Rich for this information; it makes the fan on top blowing down on the Centurion anode heat sinks more important since they are the flat type spreading out horizontally. I guess these are supposed to be used for air blowing up from the bottom but Ten Tec used them because they fit inside the cabinet. The types used by QRO would stick too high up. Also, the stock fan is, according to your measurement, too small at 119 mm on a side. The cabinet is too low height to fit a 150 mm fan so the additional fans I have planned seem to be important.

Can anyone suggest a vendor for Comair-Rotron fans?

re Transformer ratings, the Dahl h.v. unit in mine is speced by Dahl at 2225 v. 500 ma CCS (AC I imagine).

tnx

73,

Rob/K5UJ

<<<RE: the photo: Horizontal fins with horizontal cooling makes good sense, however, to adequately cool a 3-500Z with one fan, the fan must be larger than at least 150mm -- which the fan in the photo obviously is not. (the Heath SB-220 uses a 150mm fan). The nearest size DC-brushless fan that is adequate for cooling 3-500Zs is 172mm. Papst makes one which sells for c. $50. 2-tubes cost $298. However, if a split chassis is not utilized, the fan shown in the photo can be used to cool things above the chassis, and a 50mm fan can be used below the chassis to cool the filament pins, provided that pin #s 1 and 5 face each other on the adjacent tube sockets. .>>>