[Amps] White Smoke

To: R@somis.org
Subject: [Amps] White Smoke
From: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 05:05:06 -0400
Dear Rich,

Thanks for the reply.

The schematic of the xfmr, as supplied by PWD, shows the dual
primary windings "side by side" (however vertically) with the
associated pin-outs corresponding to the original ALPHA 77
transformer plug. This means that the uppermost winding
has pin 6 on one side of the coil and pin 12 on the other, or lower
side of the coil. The lower set of primary windings has pin 9 at the
top and pins 7&10 both bonded to the lower coil wire.

This arrangement matches the pin out of the ALPHA xfmr plug
exactly, wherein the pins 9 & 12 are jumpered together for 240vac
service.

Before connecting any a.c., a resistance check was made to
verify continuity and lack of continuity between specific leads
just in case there was a primary-to-frame short, and to verify the
two primaries were indeed being connected correctly.

If a phase reversal occurred in winding the xfmr, the error was
embedded and the leads extended so that following the diagram
produced the damage.

(Yes, no, Maybe???)

Thanks,
Hal