[Amps] conductivity problem

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] conductivity problem
From: CLIVE COLLINS <dartaviation@btopenworld.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:24:11 +0100 (BST)
Good day Gentlemen,
I am constructing a device that will permit the continuous rotation of a shaft
which will have a circuit on one end that will require power at 230 volts ac.
I do not want to use conventional carbon brushes and slip rings and I have
elected to go down the mercury annulus ring connections which will obviate the
brush wear and need for replacement in a location it will be difficult to
access.
My question is how do I calculate the current conductivity of the mercury to
pass possibly ten amperes.  This calculation will have to take into account the
ring "bath" of the liquid and the size of the electrodes that will pick up the
current.
Additionally, does anyone have any information on the possible corrosion
effects between mercury and other metals that I should steer clear of bearing
in mind the electrodes to be used for picking up the power.
I am aware of the amalgam action of mercury with certain other metals but is
there any sort of corrosive attack that might take place.
Thanks in advance for any answers and if it preserves the bandwidth of the
reflector then I will look forward to your advice direct.
Regards,
Clive GW3WEQ