Re: [Amps] Overengineering a pi-network bandswitch

To: Angel Vilaseca <avilaseca@bluewin.ch>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Overengineering a pi-network bandswitch
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 23:44:50 -0700

On Aug 31, 2004, at 11:11 PM, Angel Vilaseca wrote:

Hi,

I am building a kilowatt shortwave amp.
I need a switch to short-circuit a variable part of the coil in the
output pi-network to tune into every amateur band.

Unfortunately, heavy-duty, ceramic wafer rotary switches are hard to
find nowadays.

On the other hand, I have several 10-A, 220 V mains rocker switches,
which (I think) could handle the currents and voltages. RF behavior
should not be very different from a rotary switch (would it?). I am
planning to use an array of these instead of a rotary switch. Some
clever use by the operator (me!) would be the only difference. But
ruggedness would be enhanced.

Has anyone already tried this?

No, but it should work if the open switch contacts can withstand 1.5-times the anode supply V and the switch's current rating is 4-times higher than the RF circulating current in the tank. .

Best 73

Angel Vilaseca HB9SLV

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org