Re: [Amps] neg screen I in tetrodes-- TSPA

To: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] neg screen I in tetrodes-- TSPA
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 01:53:32 -0700

On Sep 3, 2004, at 1:40 AM, Steve Thompson wrote:

3) The screen material and coatings is different in the 4CX- designs,
and causes more secondaries when struck by primaries from the main
beam.
As a gross generalisation, I reckon that well used 4CX250s have higher reverse
screen current and more flashover problems. I can imagine that tiny amounts
of cathode material might disperse over time and contribute to the effect -
does the same happen with the filament coating on directly heated tubes?

Steve -- 'Tis unlikely since the carbon atoms that leave the tungsten di-carbide emissive layer on a tungsten-thorium filament would be unlikely to bond to the molybdenum grid. However, the barium that evaporates from an indirectly heated cathode is notorious for sticking to the grid and emitting primary electrons in the reverse direction.

Steve

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org