Re: [Amps] RE: Perfect Amplifier

To: retired@easystreet.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] RE: Perfect Amplifier
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:02:34 -0700

On Sep 6, 2004, at 8:40 AM, Randy wrote:

This reminds me of the story of the Tucker automobile back in the 50s,
where the other auto manufacturers wanted the Tucker to be unsuccessful
because it would cost too much of their profits to compete with all its
innovative features.

Randy -- The basic innovations/improvements proposed in "The Nearly Perfect Amplifier" were hardly costly since a step-start and rheostat-adjustable filament-V might add $25., plus a Low-Q VHF suppressors cost <$1 more than the standard kind. The big-ticket item was/is high-speed switching -- but that improvement is not an option with modern radios since conventional relays result in hot-switching.
- The reason for the odium from manufacturers is anybody's guess. However, my guess is that they did not like the idea of some schlub from the sticks on the West Coast making measurements and pointing out some easily corrected problems in their products -- most of which were caused by not taking the tube mfg's spec sheets seriously. For example, yesterday I got an e-mail from a guy who bought a used Henry amplifier. He measured 6v on the pair of 3-500Z's (5v) filaments.
- It is still puzzling to me that the ARRL Lab does not measure filament-V or filament inrush-I on the amplifiers they evaluate for the QST readership. Another problem is editing unflattering observations from the Lab technician's report before publication in QST. For example, the Lab technician who tested the Ameritron-MFJ AL-1200 amplifier noted intermittent arcing in the tank during testing, which is usually an indication of parasites -- which could have been easily confirmed with a spectrum analyzer. However, the observation of intermittent arcing was edited out of the published version. Essentially the same thing happened after a commercial "3000w" antenna tuner caught fire in the ARRL Lab at the 900W level -- i. e., no mention of the fire was made in QST.
George Grammer, W1DF, is probably turning over in his grave. /// note -- Grammer was QST's Technical Editor in days of yore.
cheerz

Randy