Re: [BULK] - [Amps] 2m Linear Amp Enquiry

To: "Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [BULK] - [Amps] 2m Linear Amp Enquiry
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 04:01:44 -0700

On Sep 10, 2004, at 2:25 AM, Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

Steve Thompson wrote:
Search around for the W2GN design using a pair in parallel, it works a
treat. I modified the grid circuit to have separate bias control, so it
will work with unmatched tubes. Personally, I don't like link coupling -
it's possible to get false indications of optimum loading.
Ooops - what I meant was - tuned link coupling. A variable untuned link should give you monotonic loading adjustment, the same as a variable series capacitor.

Should, but probably won't. Most link-coupled VHF/UHF amps suffer from chronic under-loading, because it's very difficult to make the link coupling tight enough to load the tube(s) correctly.

Good point, Ian. In the 2, 4cx250R 144MHz amplifier I built, I finally resorted to making the link out #12 TFE-insulated wire and laying it against the gnd-end of the tank-L. Since the resulting screen-I was c. 1mA, I knew the loading was adequate.
cheers

In contrast, capacitively-coupled VHF/UHF amps tune and load as easily as a pi-network.

The W2GN articles appear to be downloadable from:
http://www.newsvhf.com/w2gn.html
(I wasn't able to verify that - please can someone confirm?)

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org