Re: [BULK] - Re: [Amps] Applying HV during Warmup

To: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [BULK] - Re: [Amps] Applying HV during Warmup
From: Jim Isbell <millenniumfalcon@cableone.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:13:39 -0500
Maybe this is a GOOD argument for the Mercury Vapor rectifiers in the PS. You have to wait at least a minute, I will use 2 minutes, before applying the HVAC to the rectifiers. This would guarantee that the HV wasnt applied anywhere for at least the time delay you used on the rectifiers.

Joe Isabella wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the HV come up almost instantly after the amp is turned on? I use GLASS tubes, so I'm not an expert on these fancy ceramics, but I think the delay circuit keeps the amp from being keyed so it can't be driven until the timer expires. Or is the HV off until the timer expires, too?? That's why I like my graphite 3-500Zs -- 4KV @ 1A with nearly instant warmup and easy 2kW output. And less than $300 for two...

BTW, what exactly *WAS* the definition or "is"?? :-)

Joe,
N3JI

Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com> wrote:

Suppose the word "and" was replaced with the word "or". Quite a
difference, isn't there? I suspect that is what the writer actually
intended.

"It depends on your definition of 'is'..." - Bill Clinton

--
Bill W6WRT