[Amps] AL1200

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] AL1200
From: craxd <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:13:08 -0400
Dick,
There are some fixed capacitors off the band switch to ground that is paralleled with the load capacitor for 80-160 meters. If one of these shorted it would smoke, and the load capacitor wouldn't tune to it's normal position, and or be fully meshed or close. There's four of these caps and 80-160 meters would use all four with the load cap if I remember. I don't think any drop out (2 of them) until its switched to 40 meters. The input tune(s) are a simple pi circuit with a tunable slug inductor. If the windings of the inductor for 80 meters is shorted, it will smoke when RF hits it. There's also a possibility of a capacitor there not being all the way opened up after a short and is arcing across causing some smoke. This rarely happens but does. You'll see anyone of these right off cause they'll be toasted. The capacitors at the band switch will have to be checked for shorts and opens where they are doorknob capacitors.

If only 80 meters drops out and not 160 also, I doubt the doorknob capacitors would be bad. That goes back to the band switch or tank coil taps. On 160 meters, the second coil "L coil" is tapped for 80 meters but is not for 160. 160 meters uses the whole coil. There may be a problem at this tap too. Probably have to poke around again to see.

Will Matney

Have a friend with an AL1200 that recently stopped transmitting on 80 meters only. Works fine, full output on all other bands. He said he heard a hiss and then it stopped working on 80. I looked at the bandswitch contacts and loading coil and can see no evidence of burned/arcing.
We tried to load it again yesterday and a nice burned odor permeated the room. No output again on 80 only.
Any suggestions? I am leaning towards the input circuitry but he is dreading shipping it back to Ameritron.
Any suggestions as to reputable amp service work in the midwest in the vicinity of Louisville, KY? He would much rather drive a little and deliver the amp rather than risk shipping this beast.

Thanks for any help/advice and will pass it along as received.

Dick K9RT