Re: [Amps] Line Sections As Plate Lines

To: craxd <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Line Sections As Plate Lines
From: jeff millar <wa1hco@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:19:01 -0400
Any coincidence between 1/4 wave in free space and the actual length of the 1/2 wave line is purely an accident of the numbers. The line is best modeled as an inductor to with caps at each end that resonants at 144 MHz. A line less than 1/4 wave long appears as an inductance that depends on its length and impedance.

jeff, wa1hco

craxd wrote:

John,
I read that and your correct, 53 cm is 20.86614173". I'm thinking they may have just rounded off the number to that, I'm not sure. It's very likely that's what they done as it happens a lot when folks are to lazy to type the whole number length.

From the website, the dimensions was, quote;

"The plate line is a 55mm dia. copper tube 53cm long, from bottom of cooler to top of line."

Best & 73's

Will Matney

JMLTINC@aol.com wrote:

Hi Will-

Yep, just checked it, PA3CSG's site is down.

There is another pix at http://www.nd2x.net/PA3CSG-2.html

Sorry for the confusion, the 3/10" is the difference between the actual length of the line (20.8") and 1/4wl (20.5" at 144MHz). That is to say the line is 3/10" longer than a true 1/4wl line. How does a line that is 3/10" longer than 1/4wl line become a 1/2wl line?

Thanks-
John, N9RF

http://www.nod32.com