[Amps] Dummy loads

To: "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Dummy loads
From: "Bill Coleman N2BC" <n2bc@stny.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:57:32 -0400
All this chatter about dummy loads...    There are usually many Bird loads
posted on the e-place.  A quick look shows six 500W or better right now at $60
or less.

Of course the usual caveats apply, but I've picked up a 500W dry and 2500W
water cooled for a total of under $100.   Before I got the 2500W job, I
strapped 4 muffin fans on the 500W and used it at 1500W 'continuous' (20 to 30
minutes key down) with no ill effects.  The 2500W job barely warms up with just
a trickle of H2O running through it.

Of course, if y'all are really in need of  20KW,  alternative solutions may
indeed be required - and please warn us when you connect up an antenna.

73 all,  Bill  N2BC